Planning to get a new home could be one of the most monumental turning points in many people's lives. Are you going to buy your new home or are you going to have it built for you? If you pick the latter, then you now have another predicament in your hands – who is going to build your new home?
Building a home could be a very stressful undertaking. It cannot be promised that it will be without challenges and surprises, but choosing the right builder is imperative if you want the whole process to go as smoothly as possible. There are plenty of home builders Perth out there, and it could get a bit confusing. And, of course, referring to the classified ads and the yellow pages would not be a very helpful option, either. So how do you find 'the one'
Here are a few tips that will surely help you out.
- Know what you want. With a million possibilities out there, you have to decide how you want your home to be before you pick a home builder. Are you fond of gardening and you want a large yard or perhaps you want a pool for your morning laps? These, for example, will help you decide that apartment style condo builders are not for you and you can now leave them out of your list. Decide on your budget. If you're keeping it to a minimum, then home builders with projects that cost over a million are to be left out. Know the pros and cons. Which options you are willing to compromise on? Do you have non-negotiables?
- Fine tune your options. Now that you have a general idea of what you want as to home style and budget, you can then narrow down your selection. Do you have an idea on which neighbourhoods where you want your future home to be? With this, you now know which communities and builders to choose from. Drive around and get the feel of it. Know the facilities offered. See which builders are available in those communities.
- Go on that field trip. You now have a list of builders within these areas. It's time to see their homes. Show homes are staged so you'll see furniture and home decor inside, to give you an idea how the space can be utilized. As for the spec homes, they're for sale - empty and might not be fully constructed yet. Pay attention to the details - the layout, quality, finishing, etc. - do they feel and look right to you?
- Look into the background the builders, this involves research and will take some time, but this is one of the most important steps. Experience counts. How long have they been in the business? Are their past clients happy? Are they even adequately licensed? What is their reputation? Do they offer insurance and warranty? Are they a member of the association for home builders in Western Australia?
- Choose quality. Look for signs of it in the construction features. Attention to detail is needed here. New homes should have minimal issues as everything is newly built and the materials are brand new. Tiles dropping off the wall are a telltale sign of poor workmanship.
With the five steps above, you're on your way to finding the home builder who's the best fit for you and you'll both start building that dream home of yours.
The author does not allow comments to this entry