The first mattresses were constructed of grass and leaves and were held together with animal skins. We have come a long way since those times and the variety of mattresses and mattress toppers is wide. Although mattresses and toppers are now being made out of modern materials; they are still made with natural materials as well.
Selecting and purchasing a mattress topper can be very confusing. What seems to be a straight forward process actually has many different dimensions to it. A mattress topper may be desirable for many different reasons. They can help add support and comfort to the individual and they can also help improve hygiene by either protecting the mattress or by protecting the individual with hypoallergenic materials. There are even mattress toppers with magnets in them. There are many things to consider when buying a mattress topper, just a few are: cost, type, size, cleaning of topper; firmness or softness.
1. Cost of mattress topper: Mattress toppers can run from as little as 10.00 pounds into the hundreds. This is very important when selecting a topper. How much are you willing to pay? The saying You get what you pay for is pretty much true when selecting a quality product, but you dont have to break the bank. When determining how much you are willing to pay, remember that pillow-top mattresses start at about 1,200 and can sell for thousands.
2. Types of toppers: There are many different types of toppers to choose from, with many different uses for each. Some parents of young children like to purchase mattress toppers when transitioning their children from the crib to their first bed. The topper can be used to prevent accidents from soiling the mattress. Others select toppers for their comfort some like soft (feather) and some like more firm (lambs wool), others like memory foam which conforms to their body shape and weight. There are fitted mattress toppers, mattress toppers with elastic straps, and mattress toppers that lay on top of the mattress; it is just a matter of preference. You can buy bedroom furniture here.
3. Mattress topper materials: Mattress toppers can be made out of a variety of material. There are mattress toppers made with down and feathers covered in cotton; there are toppers made out of lambs-wool and natural fibres (hypoallergenic); toppers made from synthetic material. There are toppers made with vinyl or plastic layers (to prevent soiling of mattress); toppers made with plastic and vinyl can be very noisy and hot, but they protect the mattress. There are also water-proof mattresses available for hygiene reasons that are of very high quality.
4. Size of Mattress topper: Mattress toppers come in all sizes, which of course affects the price. They range from crib size to California King size and there are also specialty sizes which are more difficult to come by and increase the cost (e.g., twin-long).
5. Cleaning of mattress topper: When selecting a mattress topper it will be important to account for the ease of cleaning. Is the topper dry clean only, or is the topper so large that it requires a Laundromat sized washer to clean? How much space will it require to store when it is not being used?
6. Firmness of the mattress topper: How firm do you want the topper? There are all levels of firmness; if the topper is for a single bed then you only need to think about the individuals desire for firmness or softness. If the mattress topper is for a bed where more than one person shares, then you need to keep in mind the desires of both parties.
7. Steps to Selecting a mattress topper: First, determine what the topper will be used for (protecting the mattress, comfort, or hypoallergenic materials). Second, what size of mattress topper will you need? Third, how much are you willing to spend (remember, you do get what you pay for)? Fourth, do you want it right away or can you wait for it.
I personally feel that it is important to spend a bit more and get quality, especially since the bed is probably the one place that we spend the most time. If you can test the mattress topper at a nearby store I would suggest doing so; you can buy the mattress topper there, or then look online for a better price. The worst thing is to feel stuck with a bad choice. Many large department stores, or specialty bedding stores, have a bedding section where you can try out or at least feel the topper you are looking to purchase (I would highly recommend this). If that option is not available, there are reviews online that you can read to help determine if the choice is right for you. When purchasing online, you should look up reviews not only on the mattress topper you are looking at, but also the company. It is obvious after reading reviews, that customer service is as important in the purchasing decision as the actual product you receive.